Automated Time Off Management Solutions (ATOMS)
Frequently Asked Questions
What is ATOMS?
• ATOMS is a web-based absence management and leave administration system that enables employers to significantly reduce the costs of absenteeism and human resource administration. ATOMS allows employers to easily schedule employees, manage time-off, calculate leave accrual balances and identify absence problems.
• ATOMS offers simple screens for HR staff and supervisors to enter employee information, schedule work and time off, track important employee information, and generate reports. ATOMS supports employee self-serve allowing employees to request time off, modify their profile and specify their work availability. The system (1) generates automatic emails to the employee's supervisor who then approves or denies the request and (2) automatically sends an email informing the employee of the decision. ATOMS is designed for ease of use. Its many functions are tied together with a consistent interface that allows supervisors to quickly process transactions and move on to the many other demands of their jobs.
How does ATOMS reduce the costs of absenteeism and human resource administration?
Reduced Absenteeism. ATOMS provides employers with accurate, real time data and powerful analysis tools to identify employees who have absenteeism problem and reduce the associated costs. For example, BDI Canada (http://www.bdi-canada.com/en/) saw a 40 percent reduction in absenteeism in the first 9 months of use. BDI has over 300 employees and saved over $100,000 (net of the ATOMS cost) during this period.
Efficient HR Adminstration. ATOMS streamlines burdensome administrative tasks, replaces cumbersome manual or stand-alone scheduling systems, and simplifies leave tracking and many HR reporting functions.
Improved Compliance. ATOMS allows employers to simplify and improve the accuracy of many complex recordkeeping and reporting requirements. Most notably, ATOMS offers the simplest and most powerful FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) administration of any product on the market. ATOMS manages the complexities of intermittent and continuous FMLA, including draw-downs of vacation and sick time banks. Leave administration rules for state laws are easily activated. ATOMS provides the tools to assure compliance while at the same time reducing the time spent on managing absences and leave administration.
What do absences cost employers?
The February 2003 BNA quarterly report on absence and turnover finds that unscheduled absences cost on North American employers of $200 billion annually. A small company with just 100 employees would lose 500 workdays, or two FTEs, annually based upon the median unscheduled absence rate of 2 percent (as calculated in the BNA quarterly report). The indirect costs on employers from unscheduled absences include the cost of replacement workers, lost productivity, and the impact on both employee morale and customer satisfaction.
How is ATOMS different from other absence management, leave administration and scheduling systems?
ATOMS offers more features usually found only in enterprise HRIS applications at a fraction of the cost. In addition:
• ATOMS is a web-based application ((SAAS) Software As A Service). The software does not require the involvement of an employers IT staff. There is no on-site installation and maintenance of the program. Updates are completed by ATOMS and with no increase in charges to its clients.
• Implementation takes only a matter of days or weeks, rather than months or years. Simple to use screens making staff training simple and on-line user manuals allow employees and supervisors easy access to training material at all times.
• No other product offers ATOMS' simple to use yet powerful leave administration tools. For example, ATOMS:
• Allows for simplified leave requests, including employee self-serve
• Allows automated workflow authorizations
• Allows leave bank management and leave policy administration.
• Manages the complexities of intermittent and continuous FMLA, including concurrent drawdowns of vacation, sick time banks, etc.
• ATOMS enables workforce scheduling that incorporates company workforce polices, collective bargaining rules, and other scheduling factors. In addition, it seamlessly integrates with the leave administration tool allowing for simplified scheduling and workforce management.
• Only ATOMS offers return-to-work planning and administration. All absence management programs help you track leave, only ATOMS helps you manage it. Getting employees healthy and back to work as soon of possible is the true goal of absence management. Only ATOMS offers the return-to-work Task-Bank® (US patent pending) and return-to-work planning and case management tools.
• As the ATOMS system has been expanded, features found in much more expensive human resource information systems have been added. Additional workforce management tools include:
• Employee self-serve
• Employee profiles
• Automated work-flow and supervisor notifications
• FMLA coordination/administration
• Data management and reporting
• Workforce analytics
• Training and certification records
• Immunization records
• Employee assigned security and materials records
• EEOC Reporting
• In 2007, ATOMS will also include the following modules in its Workforce Management Solution:
• Benefits coordination /enrollment
• STD/LTD administration
• Workers' Compensation/WSIB administration
• First report in injury (state specific)
• OSHA 300 log
• Grievance monitoring
• Return-to-work Task-Bank®
• Return-to-work planning
• Transitional duty monitoring and administration.
Is the ATOMS system secure?
Yes. ATOMS assures the protection of sensitive employee information by allowing the employer to control access and to manage track who is using the system. In addition, your data is stored on ATOMS severs that are maintained in a high security facility with multiple layers of access control.
ATOMS be integrated with our HRIS or payroll system?
Yes, in most cases ATOMS can establish real-time or automated update interfaces with other programs. ATOMS work schedule and leave information can feed directly to your payroll system and streamline payroll processing.